Sunday, October 4, 2009

World Communion Sunday

Today was World Communion Sunday. Frankly, I don't know how many churches celebrate it, or what denominations. I had never heard about it before I moved to Indiana. I might not have been paying attention.

In Southwestern Indiana I'm a bit of an anomaly. I stand out. People remember me wherever I go, which is terribly embarrassing when someone says hi to me at a store and wants to make conversation and I have no idea who they are.

I have only been attending my church for a few months. People know (of) me though, because I stand out. I got an email earlier this week asking me to read a few verses of a Psalm in 'my language' for today's World Communion Sunday service. I assumed she didn't mean that I should read in English, although I really can't read much of anything in any other language.

Thanks to Google I manged to find a Chinese translation of the Psalm in which I could recognize more than half the characters. I found a nifty Chinese to Pinyin translator so I could actually pronounce the characters, even if I didn't know what they meant. And then I found a Chinese to English dictionary so I could actually figure out what I was saying.

Then I read the passage this morning, butchering it, leaving out words because I was nervous and because my tongue just isn't accustomed to making those sounds. I consoled myself that nobody knew what I was saying anyway.

World Communion Sunday. A day to celebrate our oneness in Christ and to remember the world that the Prince of Peace called us to serve. I loved that we ended with an old hymn from my childhood (with lyrics changed to be more inclusive):

Let there be peace on earth
and let it begin with me
Let there be peace on earth
the peace that was meant to be
With God our creator
children all are we
Let us walk with each other
In perfect harmony
Let peace begin with me
Let this be the moment now
With every step I take
Let this be my solemn vow
To take each moment and live each moment
in peace eternally
Let there be peace on earth
and let it begin with me

Yes, indeed. Let peace begin with me.

...and in a non-sequitur but not really, I love what Michael Moore had to say about capitalism today. Read it. It's a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment